The Instagram Bio is your opportunity to capture the attention of anyone who is visiting your profile to try and show them you have some personality. All too often, we find that Instagram Bio’s are far too corporate and don’t tell enough of a story about the brand.
Instagram should be a place for fun and light-heartedness. We, therefore, recommend using emojis, hashtags to really get the personality across and give your Instagram followers other ways of finding you. This could be linked to other Social Channels (perhaps they will also follow your on there) but you can also use the Instagram Bio link to drive those people to your website.
So, here is how you to add a link to your Instagram Bio – it is simple:
What can you use a link in bio for?
One of the crucial factors about the Instagram Bio is the fact you can add a link – promoting your audience to visit your website to see a promotion, drive users to your Facebook page, blog post or shop. It is therefore likely you will need to change the Instagram Bio link regularly to fulfil your requirements at that time.
There are lots of different types of links also. You don’t really want a huge blog link sitting in your bio. You can therefore use your classic link shorteners like bit.ly to disguise it, or even a branded link like x has done below:
Alternatively, to take it one step further, you can open up multiple doors to your content by using a bio link too, such as Linktr.ee. This way, you can have multiple destinations in your Instagram Bio on a page that is customizable to your brand. With Linktr.ee you add multiple links behind the main display link. Once the user clicks the link in your Instagram Bio, they are transferred to another page where they can choose which piece of content, they are looking for based on your post. As previously mentioned, this could be your homepage, promotions page, blog. They can all be there, displaying a variety of content.
There are several benefits to using one of these different types of links in your Instagram bio.
1. You can easily edit them, meaning you can add in new links all the time without having to keep changing your bio link.
2. They will give you more in-depth analytics – this is useful because you can see what sort of content your followers are most interested in. That can then help you shape your future content for Instagram as well as optimize the best pathways to generate conversions. For example, is it best do go to categories or to a product directly?
3. They can help grow your audience – Anyone who clicks on your LinkedIn Bio and enters your website can then be retargeted. Given the fact, only 2% of people purchase or complete and action on their first visit to a website, retargeting is an essential tool.
Tips add a link to your Instagram bio
Follow the 8 simple steps below on how to add a link to your Instagram Bio.
1. Open your Instagram mobile app.
2. Visit your profile by tapping the image icon in the bottom right corner of the page.
3. Tap “Edit Profile” under your current bio.
4. Write a custom description of your business in 150 characters or less.
5. Add a brief link to your website – this could be a short link or just your domain name
6. Add links to other profiles by tapping “@” followed by the profile’s handle.
7. Add hashtags by tapping “#” followed by the hashtag you associate with.
8. Tap the tick in the top right corner to save your bio.
Benefits of using a link in your bio
The benefits of using the link in Bio Feature in Instagram are almost endless. Already in this article, we have discussed the fact that links can be edited you can have multiple links behind one link like lintr.ee. We have also talked about the amazing analytics information that these links can provide you. That can be a fantastic fountain of knowledge when it comes to showing your followers exactly what they want you to see, which guess what will mean they are more likely to visit your website in the future and hopefully purchase something. Also, the Instagram links are so important for retargeting those visitors. Very few people actually purchase on the first visit, so we have to almost pursue them around the internet. It may be the case that we have to show different people, different types of numerous types of content, even in some instance’s promotional codes for them to dip their toe into the water and purchase.
If it were up to me, I would always use a linktr.ee link in my Instagram bio because there are so many different things that you could be saying to people. You could:
• Promote a sale or discount.
• Draw attention to a new product launch
• Send people to a landing page to try and capture their data/email address.
• Give additional information about your business through an “about” page.
• Link to your hero product.
• Entice people with a competition or giveaway.
• Send people to a popular blog post which builds trust in your brand.
• Direct people videos or podcasts that you have produced.
• Offer a free sample of your product
To me, anything that is a giveaway or free is always going to work. We all love free stuff, and people will do anything to get it. Share your profile on Instagram Stories, for example. But you can also use the Instagram Bio link to drive that traffic but making people enter the competition or giveaway via a landing page. On that page, you can use a Facebook Pixel or/and AdRoll Retargeting to continue the message once they have left the website. This helps to build brand awareness making it more likely that whether that person wins the competition or giveaway or not, they are more likely to buy from your brand in the future.
How to put a link in your Instagram Story
Don’t know how to add a link to your Instagram Story?
You’ve come to the right place, as it can be really frustrating when you’re on the verge of posting something new to Instagram, and you can drive people to your website.
Instagram is such a powerful tool for digital marketers, and using Instagram to increase your digital footprint can help you really grow your brand. In 2019 it was reported that 60% of Instagram users discover products through the channel, so it is therefore extremely important you can drive traffic to your site from that source.
One of the number one things you do need to consider is ensuring that the content you are posting is engaging clickable content. That is why I always recommend using a tool such as Canva to make sure your content is super-slick. You can edit images, create a video, amination and gifs so check it out – the basic version is free including imagery, what could be better?
Back to the matter in hand, in truth, adding a link into your Instagram Story couldn’t be easier. Instagram Stories generally have a greater reach than your normal Instagram posts, so placing a ‘swipe up’ feature can be amazingly effective.
To put a link in your Instagram Story posts, following the 5 simple steps below:
1. Click on the Instagram Stories icon located on the top left corner of your Instagram home page.
2. Include a filter, text, or sticker to the story.
3. Insert your chosen link by tapping on the ‘Insert Link’ icon.
4. Create call-to-action, inviting viewers to ‘swipe up’ to get to your clickable link.
5. If you don’t have the swipe up feature (you normally have to have 10k followers) then it is possible to use this feature by promoting your Instagram Stories via paid Instagram Ads.
How to put a link in an Instagram Post
Are you unsure of how to put a link into an Instagram Post?
I am here to help. Similarly, to add a link to your Instagram Stories, adding links to your Instagram posts is straightforward.
In my mind, there are 3 viable ways you can add links to your Instagram Posts:
1. You could share a short link in your caption – This is less than ideal because the links are clickable in normal Instagram Posts, meaning the user will need to copy the URL into their browser. However, it at least captures their attention.
2. If you are an e-commerce website, then you should create an Instagram Shop – Check out my blog post ‘how to create an Instagram Shop’ to see how this is done. The Advantage of this is that we can tag our products in an image. This means that your users can click directly through to your product pages and purchase your products directly from Instagram in just a couple of clicks.
3. Use Paid Instagram Ads – One way to buy pass having to create an Instagram Shop is paying for the privilege to have a direct link on one of your posts. Make sure the link is super relevant to your post; otherwise people will just bounce off. It’s also a good idea to get a Facebook Pixel onto any pages to which you are directing people as you can then create custom and lookalike audiences based on their behaviour.